Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Become a Member
Community Search
Sponsor, Exhibit, Advertise
Share |






From Climate Change to Social Justice:

How Citizens are Re-Shaping Nonprofits and Philanthropy

in an Age of Disruption and Transition

November 12-14, 2020 | Indianapolis, Indiana


 Note: this year's conference is taking place one week earlier than usual conference dates






Sponsor, Exhibit, or Advertise at ARNOVA’s 49th Annual Conference!



ARNOVA members from throughout the U.S. and around the world will gather to share thought-provoking research and engage in lively discussions. Scholars, practitioners and students exchange knowledge about voluntary action, nonprofit organizations, and philanthropy. Make plans to be a part of this important community.

What is the ARNOVA Annual Conference?

As the leading organization supporting research and education in the fields of voluntary action, philanthropy, nonprofit management, and civil society, ARNOVA stages this public conference each November. The conference is designed to create a public conversation on, as well as opportunities for presenting research about, pressing issues and vital opportunities facing the voluntary or nonprofit sector. It is both a showcase for the best and most current research, as well as a seed bed from which new research is born.


Nearly 1000 researchers, teachers and leaders from the field gather at the Annual Conference. Over recent decades, the public conversation at our conference has evolved to address new developments in our field(s), including social entrepreneurship, social economy and all aspects of civil society, as well as to meet the needs of those who study and lead “the social sector.” ARNOVA’s Annual Conference is the largest gathering held regularly anywhere devoted to these matters.

Participant Overview

Roughly 80 percent of the conference attendees are based in universities or colleges. They are leading scholars and teachers. However, many of them also serve as community consultants and nonprofit board leaders. The remaining 20 percent will be staff or leaders of nonprofit or social-economy organizations, full-time consultants to those groups, and some who play other roles in the world of philanthropy. If the pattern of recent years holds, at least 25 percent of participants will come from outside Canada and the U.S. Roughly 30 percent of conference attendees are students and others training to be the next generation of leadership for the voluntary sector.

Who benefits from our work?

It is increasingly the case that developed societies, especially in the west, are depending more and more on voluntary-sector organizations, nonprofits, and emerging enterprises in "the social economy" to do the work of providing human services and developing civil society. ARNOVA’s work benefits all of society by helping generate the knowledge and perspectives that can make those organizations and enterprises more effective. With our focus on teaching, we are also playing a key role in preparing the next generation of leaders. Special projects we carry out have directly addressed the needs of nonprofits and foundations in developing new knowledge and sustaining important conversations vital to refining and improving their practices and services. In short, a wide range of organizations and individuals seeking to serve the public good are strengthened by the work of ARNOVA and its members.



Questions or need additional information?  Contact




Request a Meeting Space





more Calendar

Webinar: The Covid-19 Crisis and Civil Society: The Situation in Asia

11/12/2020 » 11/14/2020
Exhibitor Registration - 2020 ARNOVA Conference

Online Surveys

The Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action (ARNOVA) is a diverse community of scholars, educators, and practice leaders that strengthens the field of nonprofit and philanthropic research in order to improve civil society and human life.

441 W. Michigan St. | Indianapolis, IN 46202 | Phone: 317.684.2120 | Fax: 317.684.2128
2014 Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action.

Membership Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal